Respond Community Lunch Program – Summer Volunteer Opportunity
The Kirk is partnering with Westminster Presbyterian Church to support the Respond Community Lunch Program this summer. We will be providing nourishing lunches to school-age children, families and elderly in the area. Volunteers are needed to prepare hot lunches and take-home lunches, serve and clean up on three Saturdays: June 9, July 21 and Aug 11. For more information, please call Bobi Tallinger at (248) 229-6201 or Chip Tallinger at (248) 229-6940.
Habitat for Humanity Interfaith Build – Thursday, August 2
We will join members of Temple Israel, Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral, Muslim Community Center, Cross of Christ Church and others in an effort to revitalize a neighborhood in Southfield. The event will take place on Thursday, August 2 from 8:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m. Contact Pastor Fernando if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register for our ten-person team
Ongoing Opportunities to Serve in the Community
• Accent Pontiac – Strengthening Pontiac's youth and community through equitable access to intensive and consistent music making. At the present time, volunteers are needed for our summer program. Sign Up Here• Kirk Tutors – Volunteers are needed to assist students who struggle with math, reading, writing, and spelling. You can help mid-October through mid-May. Contact Linda Juracek-Lipa at email@example.com, or (248) 909-4482.• Baldwin Center Engineering Club – An unlimited number of spots exist for people who love kids, math, science and engineering, and want to help. Mondays and Thursdays, 5:00–5:45 p.m. Sign Up Here• Dream Center of Pontiac – Reconnects to God and a community of support. Help needed with meals, clothing, tutoring and more. Contact Austin Kralisz at firstname.lastname@example.org, or (586) 201-9687.• Focus Hope – Food packing program in Detroit for homebound seniors. Sign Up Here• Forgotten Harvest – There are a variety of volunteer opportunities for this organization dedicated to relieving hunger and preventing nutritious food waste. Volunteer• Grace Centers of Hope – Committed to creating community by providing shelter, recovery and rehabilitation to men, women and children suffering from homelessness, drug addiction, alcoholism, and/or spousal or parental abuse. Learn More• Hope Against Trafficking (HAT) – Provides safe housing and restorative support for adult female survivors of sex and labor trafficking. Email Amy Davis to Volunteer• House of Hope – Two amazing women in Pontiac are ministering to the children and families in their trailer park (while working and going to school). On an ongoing basis they are seeking help with tutoring, activities, meals and clothing drives. Contact Brooke Holtslag at email@example.com or Alyssa Waddell at firstname.lastname@example.org to help!• Humble Design – Helping families transitioning out of homeless shelters by providing furnishings and design services. We turn their empty house into a clean, dignified and welcoming home. Learn More• Life Remodeled – Investing money, labor and materials into one Detroit neighborhood each year. We remodel community assets, repair homes, and cleanup 300 city blocks in six days. Volunteer• Lighthouse of Oakland County – Serving residents of southeastern Michigan who are facing economic hardship by providing the support and resources they need to move from crisis towards self-sufficiency. Learn More• Oakland County Children's Village – Offers a safe, structured environment for youth that includes secure detention, residential treatment and shelter care services. Learn More• Care Net Pregnancy Center, Berkley|Detroit – A faith based organization providing a holistic approach to client care. Learn More
Food Pantries in Pontiac and Detroit
• Baldwin Center Inc. – 5863 Sacramento Street Pontiac, MI 48342, (248) 332-6101, 212 Baldwin Ave.
• Columbia Ave. Baptist Church – 64 W. Columbia, Pontiac, MI 48340, (248) 335-9960
• Door of Faith Christian Church – 511 S. Sanford St., Pontiac, MI 48341, (2488) 335-4656
• Eastside Church of Christ – 149 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. N., Pontiac, MI 48342, (248) 335-9333
• First United Methodist Church – 14 E. Judson St, Pontiac, MI 48342, (248) 334-3856
• Foodbank Of Oakland County – 1235 N. Ninth Street, Pontiac, MI 48343, (248) 332-1473, 52449 W. Highway 134, 120 E. Columbia
• Furniture Resource Center Inc. – 112310 N. Nebraska Avenue, Pontiac, MI 48342, 333 N. Perry
• Gleaners Community Food Bank–Southeastern Michigan – 120 E. Columbia Ave., Pontiac, MI 48340, (313) 923-3535
• Oakland County Food Bank – 120 E. Columbia Ave., Pontiac, MI 48340, (248) 409-1156
• Detroit Rescue Mission Ministries – 150 Stimson St., Detroit MI 48201, (313) 993-4700
• Genesis House II – Detroit Rescue Mission – 2015 Webb Street, Detroit, MI 48206, (313) 471-1097
• Detroit Rescue Mission Ministries – Oasis – 13220 Woodward Ave., Highland Park, MI 48203
Capuchin Soup Kitchen Conner Kitchen – 4390 Conner St, Detroit, (313) 822-8606
Saint Christine Soup Kitchen – 22261 Fenkell St., Detroit, (313) 255-0312
Capuchin Soup Kitchen Emergency Services – 6333 Medbury St., Detroit, (313) 925-0514