Opportunities to Serve during COVID-19
In Partnership with Lighthouse: Help support your neighbors in need by dropping off returnable bottles and cans at Webster Elementary School (640 W. Huron Street, Pontiac). Bottles and cans are collected Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. For more information, please contact Emily at email@example.com.
Lighthouse Collection for Lighthouse Guests:
Please find items on the list you can purchase and drop off at the Kirk just inside the first Welcome Center door in the Lighthouse Bin between 10:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. weekdays for the 80 Lighthouse sheltered guests who were formerly homeless. (Our goal is to collect 80 of each item so please feel free to purchase any number of the same item.)
COVID Response (serving central Oakland County)
Are you willing and able to volunteer? Know of anyone with needs during these difficult times? Sign up today at COVID Response to get connected to volunteer opportunities in Pontiac and throughout Oakland County. COVID Response is a network of leaders from various local community organizations, churches, and other agencies in central Oakland County who are working to establish connections between those in need and those with resources to meet those needs.
Sign up today: mycovidresponse.org
Ongoing Opportunities to Serve in the Community
• Accent Pontiac – Strengthening Pontiac's youth and community through equitable access to intensive and consistent music making. Volunteers are needed! Contact Tina Rowan at firstname.lastname@example.org. • Kirk Tutors – Volunteers are needed to assist students who struggle with math, reading, writing, and spelling. You can help mid-October through mid-May. Contact Linda Juracek-Lipa at email@example.com, or (248) 909-4482.• Baldwin Center Engineering Club – An unlimited number of spots exist for people who love kids, math, science and engineering, and want to help. Mondays and Thursdays, 5:00–5:45 p.m. • Dream Center of Pontiac – Reconnects to God and a community of support. Help needed with meals, clothing, tutoring and more. Contact Austin Kralisz at firstname.lastname@example.org, or (586) 201-9687.• Focus Hope – Food packing program in Detroit for homebound seniors. Sign Up Here• Forgotten Harvest – There are a variety of volunteer opportunities for this organization dedicated to relieving hunger and preventing nutritious food waste. Volunteer• Grace Centers of Hope – Committed to creating community by providing shelter, recovery and rehabilitation to men, women and children suffering from homelessness, drug addiction, alcoholism, and/or spousal or parental abuse. Learn More• Hope Against Trafficking (HAT) – Provides safe housing and restorative support for adult female survivors of sex and labor trafficking. • House of Hope – Two amazing women in Pontiac are ministering to the children and families in their trailer park (while working and going to school). On an ongoing basis they are seeking help with tutoring, activities, meals and clothing drives. Contact Brooke Holtslag at email@example.com or Alyssa Waddell at firstname.lastname@example.org to help!• Humble Design – Helping families transitioning out of homeless shelters by providing furnishings and design services. We turn their empty house into a clean, dignified and welcoming home. Learn More• Life Remodeled – Investing money, labor and materials into one Detroit neighborhood each year. We remodel community assets, repair homes, and cleanup 300 city blocks in six days. Volunteer• Lighthouse of Oakland County – Serving residents of southeastern Michigan who are facing economic hardship by providing the support and resources they need to move from crisis towards self-sufficiency. Learn More• Oakland County Children's Village – Offers a safe, structured environment for youth that includes secure detention, residential treatment and shelter care services. Learn More• Care Net Pregnancy Center, Berkley|Detroit – A faith based organization providing a holistic approach to client care.
Food Pantries in Pontiac and Detroit
• Baldwin Center Inc. – 5863 Sacramento Street Pontiac, MI 48342, (248) 332-6101, 212 Baldwin Ave.
• Columbia Ave. Baptist Church – 64 W. Columbia, Pontiac, MI 48340, (248) 335-9960
• Door of Faith Christian Church – 511 S. Sanford St., Pontiac, MI 48341, (2488) 335-4656
• Eastside Church of Christ – 149 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. N., Pontiac, MI 48342, (248) 335-9333
• First United Methodist Church – 14 E. Judson St, Pontiac, MI 48342, (248) 334-3856
• Foodbank Of Oakland County – 1235 N. Ninth Street, Pontiac, MI 48343, (248) 332-1473, 52449 W. Highway 134, 120 E. Columbia
• Furniture Resource Center Inc. – 112310 N. Nebraska Avenue, Pontiac, MI 48342, 333 N. Perry
• Gleaners Community Food Bank–Southeastern Michigan – 120 E. Columbia Ave., Pontiac, MI 48340, (313) 923-3535
• Oakland County Food Bank – 120 E. Columbia Ave., Pontiac, MI 48340, (248) 409-1156
• Detroit Rescue Mission Ministries – 150 Stimson St., Detroit MI 48201, (313) 993-4700
• Genesis House II – Detroit Rescue Mission – 2015 Webb Street, Detroit, MI 48206, (313) 471-1097
• Detroit Rescue Mission Ministries – Oasis – 13220 Woodward Ave., Highland Park, MI 48203
Capuchin Soup Kitchen Conner Kitchen – 4390 Conner St, Detroit, (313) 822-8606
Saint Christine Soup Kitchen – 22261 Fenkell St., Detroit, (313) 255-0312
Capuchin Soup Kitchen Emergency Services – 6333 Medbury St., Detroit, (313) 925-0514